As the financial hub grapples with a rise in coronavirus infections, Hong Kong will close kindergartens and primary schools and begin offering COVID-19 vaccines to children as young as five years old, the city's governor announced on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, people familiar with the matter said that certain passengers will be barred from travelling through Hong Kong for a month.

It comes as the Chinese-ruled city saw some local transmissions of the Omicron coronavirus variant after three months of no local coronavirus infections at the end of 2021.

To prevent transmissions of the fast-spreading Omicron variant, Chief Executive Carrie Lam said that kindergartens and primary schools must halt face-to-face classes from Friday until after the Lunar New Year at the beginning of February.

Carrie Lam: Hong Kong's leader says she has to keep piles of cash at home -  BBC News

After months of online classes, most schools resumed in-person classes late last year.

The Sinovac vaccine, which is made in China, will be available to children over the age of five, Lam said. The other vaccine offered in Hong Kong, developed by BioNTech of Germany, has been approved for children aged 12 and up.

"I am hopeful and confident that we will be able to overcome the situation," Lam stated.

Separately, from January 15 to February 14, Hong Kong's international airport will ban passengers from transiting through 150 designated high-risk areas, according to sources. Diplomats, government officials, athletes, and staff participating in the Winter Olympics in Beijing, which starts on February 4, will be exempt from the ban.

In early January, Hong Kong banned passenger flights from Australia, Canada, France, India, the Philippines, Pakistan, the UK, and the US.